Thursday 15 October 2009

Shantaram... god help me

UPDATE: Shantaram still sucks. I'm officially halfway through... I reached the sex scene, it was just as bad as I was lead to believe. Also, it sucks. Did I mention that yet?

I hope I can dedicate a couple of nights to it this week as well as my train reading, so that come Friday night at bookclub I am not a total cop out (I flaked out of the last book, too).

Sigh.

OK, so our next bookclub book is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts (you know, the convicted armed robber who ruined people's lives by holding them up at gun point to support his heroin addiction, and who escaped from Pentridge and went on the lam for 8 years or so - it's all there on his website).

Now, as a disclaimer, I understand that this book is fiction - but I still feel slightly dirty and like I'm supporting or adding to the proceeds of crime.

All of which is irrelevant because in my personal opinion the book is BLAH. His prose is arrogant, egocentric, pretentious and try-hard. He seems to think he's some kind of philosopher and personally right now I'm finding it really difficult to make it through the "hero doctor rescues poor slum folk" section of the book.

I'm sitting tight because a friend just told me that the book includes a sex scene that's so bad it won a prize!


No comments:

Post a Comment