Wednesday 14 October 2009

Yalumba Y series sangiovese rose


Heh, so apparently according to Christian Lander (extrapolating his thoughts about white zinfandel to Australian rose), rose is for bogans, or the "wrong kind" of white person.

Now I generally consider that I'm pretty high up on his white person test (think indoor team sports, knowing what's best for poor people, facebook, postgraduate degrees in liberal arts, etc) but I want to strike back against the stigma of drinking pink wines.

I think (and I'm not alone) that most roses get a bad rap that they don't deserve. If you choose the right one, they're dry and citrus-y and savoury and go really nicely with food, especially in summer. I know it's not summer, but choosing season-appropriate wines has never really been my style.

Tonight, I'm trying Yalumba 'Y Series' sangiovese rose, which was a steal from a major wine retailer at less than $8.00. I'm serving it with a made-up recipe for white bean and chorizo stew.


It's not the best wine in the world - but then again, for less than ten bucks a bottle I'd be surprised if it was. I like it - it's mostly dry, it tastes "pink" but not sweet and it went beautifully with the stew. It was very light and crisp, and perfect for the extra bit of chilli and smoked paprika I added to punch up the flavours in the sausage.

1 comment:

  1. The 2008 Yalumba Sangi Rosé is an excellent little wine for the price, as you say. On sale here in Qld for $5.75 too. Semi-savoury & versatile with food. Can't ask for much else.

    Cheers

    jeremy

    ReplyDelete