Tuesday 13 October 2009

Weekend Herb Blogging #205

Lamb with peas and anchovies

Cinzia from Cindystar is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and I am using curly endive.



This is my very first foray into food blogging (erm, well, blogging at all, really) and my virgin WHB post - I hope I've done it right (veterans, feel free to leave suggestions for me if not).

I've chosen curly endive (or frisee) not because I particularly like its flavour (I find it bitter and I choke on the leaves if they're not chopped) but because of this recipe from Gourmet Traveller, which is amazingly delicious - and surprisingly, the wilted endive's bitterness adds a really nice edge to the sweet peas, salty anchovies and juicy, rich braised lamb.

Endive is (according to Wikipedia, the font of all online knowledge) a member of the daisy family and is closely related to chicory. Like any leafy green, it contains high levels of folate, vitamins A & K and fibre - this particular recipe is a favourite of mine because it's juicy and saucy and packed with protein and has 2 loads of veggies in it, which makes it almost a complete meal.

My next favourite ingredient - anchovies! (Yes the recipe only calls for a few and yes I added more...possibly the whole jar...yes I'm a glutton and a salt fiend but they dissolve into nothingness. I won't hear a word against the little salty fish). Oh - and yes, they do deserve their own picture.



Then the marjoram, garlic, onions and peas (I couldn't find oregano so I used fresh marjoram instead):

 

And, finally, the lamb.

 

The onions are fried for 8-10 mins until they soften (I like to get a bit of colour on them, but not too much), then the garlic and anchovies are added until the garlic is aromatic and the anchovies melt. Then it's in with the lamb and the stock and it cooks slowly for 2.5 hours or so. About 5 minutes before serving, add the peas and the herbs. Turn off the heat when the peas are done and add the endive, stirring until it wilts.



2 comments:

  1. sorry I'm late but had a very busy week, welcome to WHB's family, hope to read again your recipes.
    thanks for participating!
    have a nice w.e.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindystar, great job on the roundup, I can't wait to see everybody's efforts this week!

    ReplyDelete